To find an answer quickly use the reference number (example. "TM05") and use "Ctrl-F" (Find) to locate it.
About the site
- TM00 - Why don't the questions in this FAQ link directly to the answers?
- TM01 - How can I get in touch with you?
- TM02 - I really love this poet/artist. Can I post his stuff on TheMasque? How about a YouTube song?
- TM03 - I get an error message that says *** Couldn't log in. Try again ***
- TM04 - I hate that I have to register for each section. Can’t you fix it so I don’t have to? It would be way easier to navigate.
- TM05 - What’s the age limit on the site?
About the Archive/Stories section
- TM06 - Can I use HTML?
- TM07 - How do I add a story?
- TM08 - How do I add a chapter?
- TM09 - How much control will I have over my stories and art?
- TM10 - I don’t understand your categories. Where do I put my story?
- TM11 - What is tinyMCE and why does the upload page look funny.
- TM12 - Why didn’t my story get featured?
- TM13 - If you require all work on the site to be the poster’s original work, why do you allow fanfiction?
- TM14 - What authors don’t allow fanwork?
- TM15 - What is The WIKTT Archive?
- TM16 - What, exactly, is copyright?
- TM17 - I have a character under 17, but he/she turns 17 in the story… / My model is under 18, but we live in the UK…
- TM18 - I uploaded my story but it’s not showing up.
- TM19 - How do I upload a photo to my profile?
- TM20 - How do I upload a photo to my story?
- TM21 - What do the star ratings translate to?
- TM21a - What kind of Content Ratings are there? Why not just use the MPAA ratings?
About the Gallery
- TM22 - How do I upload a picture to the gallery?
- TM23 - My model is under 18, but we live in the UK…
- TM24 - What’s the Portego for?
About the Ballroom
- TM25 - How do I know what’s going on in chat?
- TM26 - Why don’t you use another chat/my favorite chat program?
- TM25 - Why isn’t there anyone ever in the chat room when I go in?
About the Forums
- TM27 - Who are Three Chicks and a Dude and what qualifications to they have to give other people advice?
- TM28 - What kind of things can I post on the Forum Boards?
- TM29 - How do I know what the postings on the Calendar are?
TM00 - Why don't the questions in this FAQ link directly to the answers?
The datasbase was being picky the day the FAQ was written and wouldn't accept the links. However, the web designer was smart enough to come up with this clever workaround.Every page has a link to email Benevolent Goddess at the bottom. Either I or an admin will reply as promptly as possible.
Not without his direct and absolute permission and only under his name, not yours. Please don’t post YouTube stuff or photos that you didn’t create anywhere on TheMasque. I don’t want to get sued for violating someone’s copyright.
TM03 - I get an error message that says *** Couldn't log in. Try again *** Don’t panic. You’re trying to get in to a section of the site that you haven’t registered for. The site is built in five separate sections. Each section requires a separate registration and log-in. You may register for each section using the same information as they are all separate databases, but you will need to register for each. If you haven't, you will not be able to move from one section to the next. If you are still having problems after registering for each section, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'll be happy to dig deeper into it.
Here’s the thing – I totally wish that I could. However, the backbone of the site is a script called eFiction. While eFiction is amazing and super-great at handling stories (it is, actually, the best out there, that I’ve seen), it’s way not so great with playing well with other scripts – like BBS’s, chatrooms or galleries. The system, as wonderful as it is at handling stories, can’t and won’t allow multiple databases with a single sign in. So, the site is built in separate databases and separate log ins. To fix this, I would have to spend many thousands of dollars to rebuild the site from the ground up using all new programming that rips eFiction apart and uses it for the basis of an all new kind of content managemen t system. No existing CMS, that we’ve found, can match the look, feel and functionality of eFiction for handling what we feel is the most important part of the site – the stories. Sorry, that just isn’t in the works right now.
A character age of seventeen (17) for stories is allowed only on The WIKTT Archives and nowhere else on the site, per UK and Wizard law. Eighteen (18) for all other purposes, in all sections and categories of TheMasque.net and all subdomains.
I’d rather you didn’t, but you may. The HTML tags that you are able to use are listed here. Please do NOT upload anything written in Microsoft products as HTML. They have far too much junk embedded in their files and the make the system unhappy.
To submit stories, log into your account on the archive (story) section of the site. On the page that immediately pops up, called the Member Account page, select "Add a New Story" and follow the instructions on the Add New Story page. Once you get to the submission form, it's fairly well explained and fairly intuitive.
Log into your account. On the Member Account page, click the Manage Stories link. Next to your story title, click the “Add New Chapter” link. Toward the bottom of the “Add New Chapter” page, add your chapter title, any notes and your story text.
All the control in the world; your stories are yours in every way. All we do is give you a new and beautiful place to archive them. You are in total control of your work from start to finish. All we ask is that if you do get published and need to take your work down, you provide us with a how-to on getting published, too!
Please visit The Masque Rooms Description
For the WIKTT Archive, please select the category from the side menu of the archive page.
TinyMCE is a powerful WYSIWYG editor control that enables the user to edit HTML contents in a more user friendly way. As an author uploading stories, you have the ability to directly manipulate the layout and appearance of your story without having to type in any HTML commands. If you like your HTML already, feel free to turn off tinyMCE and upload your document as it stands. Please do preview and play with each as you experiment to discover which you prefer. Feel free to let me know if you need help. It seems as though each person’s computer and document needs something a wee bit different.
I only have room for two stories and one poem each month on TheMasque and two stories on The WIKTT Archive, so I can&39;t showcase every story I like. I promise that it’s not because I hate your stuff or am playing favorites with my friends.
Fanfiction is its own genre and many authors allow and even encourage derivative works. The stories in the fanfiction section are original, with original plotlines and stories, but with familiar characters. We feel that such derivative works can help fans capture the essence of the original yet still be creative and stay active in the fandom. Legally, we use Hustler Magazine, Inc. et al. v. Jerry Falwell to justify publishing fanfiction and fanart as respectful and loving “parody” of original work and no author or artist derives income from publishing at The Masque, nor does The Masque receive income from the publishing of derivative works.Several authors and publishing/production companies specifically forbid fanfiction; derivative works from those sources are not allowed on TheMasque out of respect for their creators and their copyright. What authors don’t allow fanwork? The Masque will not host fan work for authors and artists where the original creator has specifically denied permission for derivatives. A non-exhaustive list includes but is absolutely not limited to: Archie Comics, Anne McCaffrey (within her site-stated rules), Anne Rice, Mercedes Lackey (on the internet), Andre Norton, David Weber, Annette Curtis Klause, Robin Hobb, George R.R. Martin, Larry Niven, Guy Gavriel Kay, Nora Roberts/JD Robb. The Masque will accede to any C&D letter from an author or corporation in respect for that author or artist.
The WIKTT Archive is a Harry Potter fan fiction story archive, focusing primarily on the Hermione Granger/Severus Snape relationship. There are several other character pairings in the section, too, under Auxiliary Volumes. The name of the section comes from a story by Quillusion called “Soul Searching” which utilizes a plot device of a “little green book” titled “The WIKTT Archives”, containing stories about the HG/SS relationship. Quillusion’s book was inspired by the YahooGroup “When I Kissed the Teacher” or “WIKTT”, a literary mailing list for authors of the same genre. The Archive itself has gone through several incarnations and formats since 2001. The last person who held the site is AzrealGeffen; it was entrusted to BG in Sept. of 2008.The WIKTT Archive has a separate entrance page from the rest of the web site, though it is also linked in the Conservatory. All procedures, FAQ’s and guidelines are the same as for the rest of the web site.
Copyright laws provide that only the person who created something has the right to use it, publish it, change it or create derivative works from it. Links to copyright information websites may be found here:
Copyright Information from Library of Congress&39;s Copyright Office
What is Copyright?
10 Big Myths about Copyright
All models must be over 18 and all images must be of adults if in a sexual situation. Characters in stories on The WIKTT Archives may be 17 in text only, but only on The WIKTT Archives. No character under the age of 17 may be involved in a sexual relationship - Time Turner use included. The standard rule on TheMasque.net is 18 only. An exception for stories in The WIKTT Archive has been made per JKRowling's legality. for more information on TheMasque rules and US law, read this: The Masque, Your Characters, the First Amendment and Child Pornography
When you upload your story and click “Submit”, if you see the text of your story on the next screen, scroll down to the bottom of the page. You’ll see the submission form. This means that one of the required fields was not filled in. Make sure every blank is filled in correctly and click “Submit” again. The trickiest place is in the Category menu, where you place your story on the site. Go as deep as you can into the category to select a place for your story before clicking the arrow. Many sections will not let you upload something into the wrong place – you need to go deeper into the section.
• Log in to your account.
• On the User control panel, click Manage Images
• Upload a new image. Please do not use someone else’s copyrighted image or a “public domain” image.
• Copy (Ctrl-C) the text under “HTML code to use image in story” and between the Quotation marks. (Example: stories/5/images/filename.jpg )
• Go back to your user control panel and click Edit Bio
• Confirm that the information is still correct as sometimes the information defaults when revisited.
• Near the bottom of the page, in the box next to Image, paste (Ctrl-V) in the file path that you copied on the other page.
• Click Submit.
• On the User control panel, click Manage Images
• Upload a new image. Please do not use someone else’s copyrighted image or a “public domain” image.
• Copy the text under “HTML code to use image in story” and copy (Ctrl-C) something that looks like this: < img src="stories/5/images/filenamet.jpg" mce_src="stories/5/images/filenamet.jpg">
• Paste (ctrl V) that into the body of your story, wherever you want the picture to go.
• Label the story as “illustrated” in the summary.
The numbering system on the review form is 1-10. Each number represents half a star. A review of 10 would show five stars. A review of 9 would show four and a half stars.
TM21a - What kind of Content Ratings are there? Why not just use the MPAA ratings?
The MPAA ratings are copyrighted. Ratings on The Masque are as follows:
1 – Conservative: No offensive material
2 – Provocative: Uses moderately adult language; may suggests violence or adult situations, without detailed descriptions
3 – Risqué: Includes some graphic violence, and/or some detailed sexual encounters.
4 – Wanton: Includes explicit violence, sex or deviant sexual behavior.
Because that archive was created long ago, by someone else (and only the labeling language was modified by BG), the Content Ratings on The WIKTT Archives are as follows:
• Make sure that you’re registered for the gallery, since each section is separate.
• Log in to the gallery section.
• Click the “Upload file” link.
•Browse your computer for the file.
The upload standards for the gallery are: 1024 KB total and maximum width or height of 2048 pixels. The intermediate picture size defaults to 400.
•Select the correct album.
•Title your file.
•Describe/caption your picture.
The Portego, or TMP as we usually call it, is our social networking section of the site. In general we use it as our interactive writers’ workshop but you’re more than welcome to blog and start groups there.
There’s a calendar on the site in the forums for chat activities and birthdays/events. Also, the Portego has an events section. There is a TM360 site here: http://360.yahoo.com/eroticmasque that also has updated information.
After a lot of research, we found that the chat room software that we use currently is better than the rest in terms of looks, adaptability, modifications, CM ability, and price. It is incredibly stable and it is consistently superior to other chat programs which have other features and more downtime than is acceptable. We’ve also found that most people tend to prefer a certain room format out of habit more than any dislike of our setup.
We wish there was someone – a lot of someones – in there 24/7. Unfortunately, we can’t keep it staffed except in the evenings in the US. There are several scheduled chat times and more are always being planned. Feel free to bring friends into chat any time of the day or night. Feel free to start your own topics, games or use the chatroom f or your event space on a day that doesn’t have something going. We’re happy to share!
They are simply four practical people who have no bias and no stake in the outcome of a situation, therefore can offer an outside viewpoint in a crisis. None of them is a professional counselor and all advice given should be taken with a grain of salt nor are they responsible for any outcome resulting of the use of their advice. You can reach them at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome almost any and all kinds of input on the forum boards. Feel free to start a thread, comment on an existing one, join in the salon games. We will not tolerate hateful remarks, racism, inflammatory statements, underage, bestiality, or rape threads.
The Calendar on the forums are for just about anything! Birthdays, anniversaries and chat events are posted on the Calendar. If you click on the event title, you will be taken to the forum post about that event!